Katherine to Normanton – Tours & Transport
This is a remote part of Australia with relatively few travellers. That is something special, and it also requires a planned approach, however you travel on The Savannah Way.
Be sure to carry sufficient medication or dietary needs for your trip and drink plenty of water. Be aware of alcohol restrictions around Aboriginal land and communities in the Northern Territory and Queensland.
If you are driving your own vehicle carry appropriate equipment, maps, food and water. Be confident your vehicle is in good condition and please drive safely. Plan your itinerary including fuel, food and water stops, and be able to carry rubbish securely to the next dump. Then you can relax and enjoy the drive!
Return or one way hire cars and campervans are available. Contact the following operators for more information:
- Britz Phone: 1800 331 454
- Kea Campers Phone: 1800 252 555
- Thrifty Phone: 136 139
- Apollo Phone: 1800 777 779
- Oz Tours Safaris Phone: 1800 079 006
- Outback Discovery Phone: 1300 799 443
- Outback Adventure Treks (motorcycle) Phone: 0408 800 159
Fishing and other day tours operate from larger centres. For localised touring please contact Visitor Information Centres.
Camping Gear Hire
- Cairns – Geo Pickers Phone: 07 4051 3290
- Darwin – NT General Store Phone: 08 8981 8242 or Gone Bush Phone: 0413 757 000
Bus Service – Passengers and Freight
- Greyhound Phone: 1300 473 946
- Air North Phone: 1800 627 474
- Savannah Aviation Burketown Phone: 07 4745 5177
- Qantas Phone: 13 13 13
- Jetstar Phone: 13 15 38
- The Ghan (Adelaide to Darwin via Katherine) Phone: 13 21 47